Many of you know I was a fashion designer for most of my career. I loved it, but working with fabric just wasn't enough for me. I wanted to work with wood, paper, paint, glitter, and whatever else I could get my hands on. Even though I left fashion long ago, I still sketch dresses whenever I have some down time. Today I thought I'd share with you just how easy fashion sketching is if you have a croqui and some good supplies. I'm using Marabu's Graphix Aqua Pens which turn into watercolor if you wet them. This is a terrific way to get an awesome fashion illustration worthy of your wall! To start, you'll want to print out my fashion croqui below. This croqui is the key to a terrific sketch every time! A little practice and you'll be the next Valentino or Chanel, I just know it! Remember, practice makes perfect and never forget to Make Your Mark!
A few framed sketches! LIKE the Marabue FB page and you're entered to win one!
Ready to frame!
Watch how easy it is to fashion sketch here!
STUFF I USED
Sewing pattern paper
Dollar store frames
1. - 3. Place watercolor paper over the croqui and with pencil, sketch your dream dress using the body as a guide
*Look at fashion magazines to see how fabric falls if you're stuck
4. & 5. Fill in the dress with the Graphix Aqua Pens leaving lots of white space and concentrating on the creases and outline
6. Using a clean brush with water, spread the lines inward to color the sketch
7. - 9. Repeat on the 2nd dress and hair
10. Add details on the face like eye shadow and lipstick
11. Trace over the pencil lines with a black Graphix Fine Liner
12. Cut an old sewing pattern into 3" x 4" pieces
13. Decoupage on the frame back with Americana Decoupage
14. & 15. Cut and glue a measuring tape around the edge on top of the decoupage pattern paper
16. Tape your fashion sketch in the middle and snap the frame together
Print out on 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper
Make sure to LIKE the Marabu FB to be entered to win an original sketch!