When I'm poking through the dish section at the thrift store I always wonder who buys the mismatched coffee mugs with weird company logos on them? The answer, my friends, is me. I grabbed several for a song and went wild with Americana Gloss Enamels to create my own Jackson Pollock tea set. Not only do I love this set, I figured out a way to make it dishwasher safe! Make sure to follow the instructions for curing and baking so that they last a lifetime. Have a blast, use every color in the box and don't forget to Make Your Mark!
A tea set for the artist in you!
Look at that mug!
Watch how to make them here!
STUFF I USED
Americana Gloss Enamels in several colors and Metallic Gold
Thrift store tea pot and mismatched mugs
Americana Dishwasher Safe Decoupage
1. Tape around the mouth of the mug
*1/2" should be enough
2. - 4. Paint big swashes of color all over each mug (skipping the handles) and
don't worry about being perfect
5. Tape over the handles
6. & 7. With the mugs face down, start splattering all of your favorite colors on all sides of each piece
8. Remove the tape and paint the handles with metallic gold Gloss Enamels
9. Follow the instructions for curing and baking
10. Coat the handles (and teapot lid with Americana Dishwasher Safe Decoupage
11. Sprinkle gold glitter on the wet decoupage and let dry
12. Coat the glitter with a generous amount of dishwasher safe decoupage and let dry
Chamomile or peppermint?
Is there a reason that you have to tape around the mouth of the cups? I already have some white dishes I purchased from the thrift store and I'd like to be able to paint the whole cup.ReplyDelete
Hi Beth, Gloss Enamels and most glass/porcelain paints are non toxic but not food safe (meaning you can't ingest) I tape the mouth to keep the paint away from contact with lips so there is no chance of ingesting the paint when you drink. Paint contains latex and some people have latex allergies which is why paints cannot be considered food safe. Hope that helps.Delete
I love it.Delete