I finally broke down and hauled a big, ugly 70's coffee table up 3 flights of stairs to my house to make entertaining in the back yard easier. After a while I realized it LOOKED like a big 70's coffee table and was in desperate need of a makeover. In fact, it was screaming "PLEASE GIVE ME A MAKEOVER, MARK!" So I did. Now, I have to admit that I was stumped as to what to do with this huge chunk of blonde wood, but then it hit me.....GO BRIGHT OR GO HOME.......So I added some wood slats to cover the crappy top and painted it Denver Bronco/Home Depot orange......and it worked. Well, it worked for me anyway! Hope you like it as much as I do. Remember, have fun, make messes and don't forget to Make Your Mark! xoxo
Pull up a chair and join me!
Sometimes it reminds me of an A&W!
See how I made it here!
Stuff You'll Need
Enough 1/4" x 2" or 3" wood slats to cover the top
Americana Chalky Finish in colors you like
Hammer and 1" nails
Since this table is outside, I coated the finished table with Light Satin Varnish
1. & 2. Arrange your slats to make sure they cover the entire table top
3. Paint the slats Rustic on one side and don't worry about the edges
4. Sloppily paint over the slats with a thick coat of orange and let dry for about 10 minutes
5. After 10 minutes, scrape off the orange paint to get a chipped, aged look
6. Sand the edges and face of each slat to expose bits of the raw wood
7. Nail the slats to the table top
8. Paint the base of the table Rustic and let dry
9. & 10. Paint the base of the table in Heritage, wait 10 minutes and scrape off with a putty knife
11. Sand the edges of the base and parts of the legs to expose the raw wood
12. Coat the entire table in Americana Decor Light Satin Varnish
Ready for a gathering!
Hey Mark, I love the rustic feel of the table. My first thought, "That would look great in a garden room!". Thanks, once again, for the amazing inspiration!! Love ya' Patricia BReplyDelete
I can always count on you to make my morning Patricia! Big hugs and have a terrific weekend. Love ya!Delete
If you use this outside, it screams BAR-B-QUE!!! I bet a lot of compliments would come your way. Inside, this would make the most beautiful coffee table. Excellent video Mark!!!ReplyDelete
Thanks for popping by Joanne! I'm definitely going to be entertaining outside more this summer!Delete
Thank you Jackie! I wasn't sure at first, but now I'm in love with it!Delete