I seriously had no idea that opals are found in every color until I started researching this project! Not only that, raw opals are just as beautiful as the polished stones we're used to seeing. For some reason when I was making this project I kept thinking of my gram who used to give me all of her old brooches when I was a kid. I loved hoarding anything sparkly that looked like a treasure. Truth be told, I went a little overboard making this jewelry and I now have a stash that could sink a pirate ship! Also, who knew there was another use for gift basket Easter grass?! I hope you like this project as much as I do and remember.......
Have fun, make stuff and don't forget to Make Your Mark!
Julie rocking her new stash of faux opal jewelry
This is only part of the stash I made for this project!
Every color under the sun
See exactly how they're made here
Stuff You'll Need
Angel Hair (Opalescent Easter Grass)
Small Torch or Lighter
1. Knead equal parts of the molding putty together and create a flat ball
2. & 3. Push the cabochons into the molding putty and wait 10 minutes for your mold to set
4. Cut angel hair into small pieces so it looks like chunky glitter
5. Mix a small amount of the Glaze Coat together
6. Mix in the angel hair pieces into the Glaze Coat
7. Pour into the molds and pop bubbles with a small torch or lighter
8. When set (wait 8 hours) paint the backs with different colors of nail polish
*This will give the opals different colors
9. Set in jewelry with E-6000 glue