I've been inspired by the Target commercials for the new line of modern Marimekko products they launch on April 17th! Though I have to say, I'm more a fan of the colorful, vintage Marimekko patterns.....So, instead of hunting down a full set, one piece at a time, at thrift stores and on EBay, I decided to paint my own set on some mismatched dollar store dishes. Americana Gloss Enamels is the perfect paint for this because after curing and baking, they are dishwasher safe! Still, because I spent so much time on them, I always wash them by hand. It's my thing and I'm a bit freaky about the stuff I make. Google "vintage Marimekko" for some amazing inspiration!
Oh, remember to have fun, make messes and Make Your Mark, OK!
These are mine....
These are the originals
My new breakfast set!
See how I made them here!
Stuff You'll Need
Dollar Store Dishes
Fine hair paintbrush
1. Clean your dishes with rubbing alcohol
2. & 3. Use a pencil to draw your design
*The originals are above to use as reference
4. Fill in the petals with yellow
5. Fill in the center with black
6. Draw around the 2nd circle with the glass marker
7. & 8. Draw dots around the 2nd circle and around the base of the petals
9. Draw lines connecting the row of dots at the base of the petals and the 2nd row of dots
10. Draw lines around the petals
11. On the mug, draw leaves with veins on the sides of the flowers
12. Follow the instructions for curing and baking on the Gloss Enamels packaging
Where is that toast?!