For some reason I've been scoring at the thrift store when it comes to interesting lamps! I find them for less than $5 with the shades and they are always super fun to makeover. Check out my latest creations complete with shade makeovers, too. My favorite is the paisley lamp shade with black ribbon trim. I made 2 for my bedroom and absolutely love them. Next time you need a lamp, head to the thrift store first and see what you can paint and decoupage to match your space. So much more fun than hunting around for something to match. Remember one man's trash is another man's treasure....Oh, and always Make Your Mark!
Perfectly Paisley, Fornasetti Inspired and Flower Power
Watch the makeovers here!
Start with a selection of working, thrifted lamps and shades
(If you can, check the wiring at the store before you buy)
1. 2. & 3. Tape over the cord and paint the entire lamp base with Americana Decor Satin Enamels in your favorite color and let dry
4. & 5. Add highlights using a slightly damp rag with DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Gold Rush
6. Remove the fabric from the original lampshade
7. Press paper over one of the sections of wire to create a pattern and trace around it with a crayon
8. & 9. Cut out the pattern and then cut out the panels in fabric
*Make sure that the fabric panels are all the same if you're using a pattern. This means cutting them one at a time if you have to!
10. One by one glue the fabric panels to each wire section of the shade
11. Glue 1/4" ribbon over where the fabric panels meet to cover the seams
12. Glue more 1/4" ribbon around the top and bottom rim of the shade
*When you get to the end, fold the ribbon over 1/4" to make a clean finish
1. & 2. Paint the lamp with Americana Decor Satin Enamel in black
3. Carefully cut out a print that you want to decoupage on the lamp
*Check out http://thegraphicsfairy.com/ for an amazing selection to choose from
4. Mist the front and back of the image with water to relax the paper
5. 6. & 7. Add Americana Decoupage to the back of the image and apply it to the lamp
8. Coat the image with more Decoupage
9. Add a metallic gold border with a paint marker
1. & 2. Paint the base of the lamp with Americana Decor Chalky Finish in your favorite color
3. Remove the fabric from the original lampshade
4. & 5. Fold fabric on the diagonal and cut enough 2" wide strips to wrap your shade
*Do the math: Measure the shade top to bottom and around and multiply to get a good idea of how much you will need
6. Glue the strips together with hot glue to make very long strips
7. Wrap the shade from top to bottom until you've gone all the way around
8. & 9. Cut out fabric roses and glue them on the wrapped shade
Done, done and done!
great makeovers- as it happens I'm planning to put together a home office and love the desk (from earlier) and lamp makeovers!ReplyDelete