From a very early age I was obsessed with the illustrator Erté and his wonderful depiction of fashion during the Art Deco period. The beautiful dresses, the amazing furniture and fantastic architecture just did it for me. The Empire State Building and the Chrystler Building are just two of the most famous and most beautiful Art Deco buildings, and for most of my life in NYC I was able to look up and appreciate them every day. I decided to take my love of Ikea hacks and create an Art Deco side table with the new super glossy MAXX GLOSS paints from DecoArt. From $5 table to showstopper! Enjoy. Be creative. Make messes. Have fun
Watch how easy it is to make here!
I think my table would look amazing in this room!
This poster served as inspiration for my design
Stuff You'll Need
Lack table from Ikea (or small, square side table)
Maxx Gloss in China White and Patent Leather
Metallic gold paint pen
1/4" plywood cut in the following sizes:
8 - 2" x 6"
8 - 4" x 8"
8 - 6" x 10"
1. Using a large lid, trace a curve on the corner of each of the 24 pieces
2. Cut each curve with a jigsaw and fine blade
3. Sand each piece with a sander or sandpaper
4. Paint the 6"x 10" and 2" x 6" pieces with Maxx Gloss in black
*Make sure you paint 4 sets facing each direction
5. Paint the 4" x 8" pieces in China White
6. When dry edge each piece with a metallic paint pen
7. Paint the entire table with the Maxx Gloss in black
*Ikea tables come in black, but they are not glossy which is the effect I wanted
8. Glue the painted wood pieces together in sets
9. With E-6000, glue them to the corners of each side of the table and let dry