I wanted to jazz up my outdoor space this summer with some bright pieces so I've been experimenting with different techniques on thrift store tables and chairs. It's amazing what you can pick up for $5 or $10 dollars at a thrift store. This glitter striped table adds some serious fun to my backyard and surprisingly, it wasn't as hard to make as I thought it would be. The most important thing to remember is to seal the glitter before you add the resin top coat. This way you won't have any stray pieces like I did. I spend almost 45 minutes pushing flecks of glitter back into the stripes. All in all, it was worth it! Are you ready to make a mess? Let's GO!
The perfect amount of excitement for breakfast on the patio
Paint the base any color you want
Mix in a patterned rug and pillows
Watch exactly how it's done here!
Stuff You'll Need
Thrift Store Dining Table
Paintbrush and Sponge Brush
1. Paint the base of the table with Maxx Gloss in Rain Slicker
2. Paint the table top with Americana Decor Metallics in Vintage Brass
3. When dry, draw lines 3" apart across the table
4. Tape on the outside of every other line with masking tape
5. & 6. Fill in one line at a time with Americana Decoupage in Gloss
7. While the decoupage is wet, sprinkle with a generous amount of glitter and sweep off when dry
*do this to every other stripe
8. Remove the tape and sweep the excess glitter into a paper bag and then back in the jar
9. Coat each stripe with Americana Decoupage in Gloss and let dry
10. Follow the instructions for the E-6000 Glaze Coat, mix and pour it on the table top
11. Evenly distribute the Glaze Coat with a sponge brush
*push the stray glitter pieces back to the stripe with toothpick or chopstick
12. Pop the bubbles in the Glaze Coat with a small torch and then let cure overnight in room that isn't occupied and is free of moving dust and dirt
Sparkly and shiny!