Every time I see a funky crazy quilt or patchwork garment, I think of the song
"Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton. It used to make me cry when I was a kid, but that's another story. It might be sole reason I never toss my scraps no matter how small. Well, since my scrap box was exploding, it was time to use them up and honor the lovely Dolly with a project. I had a blast making these pillows and reminiscing about all of the fun projects they were used in over the years. Remember to use even the smallest scraps for your projects...Oh, and always Make Your Mark!
I even got to use up some old doilies and lace scraps that have been hanging around for years!
Watch how to make them here!
STUFF I USED
Trim scraps (like pompom, ric-rac & fringe)
Iron & ironing board
18" x 18" fabric squares
1. Cut and piece your scraps onto an 18" x 18" fabric square
2. When you're happy with your design, photograph it with your phone so you have a reference
3. Iron your pieces so they are completely flat
4. Carefully glue the pieces down one by one making sure all edges are secure
5. Add various trim scraps to give it some dimention
6. Place another 18" x 18" square on top and stitch around the pillow leaving a 5" hole
*The hole is so you can turn it right side out and add your stuffing
7. & 8. Turn your pillow right side out and stuff it with Poly-fil (my favorite stuffing)
9. Pin the opening together and stitch closed on your machine or by hand
10. Make a tassel for each corner by wrapping several different colors of yarn around a tassel maker at the same time
11. Stitch a colorful button on each corner
12. Tie a tassel to each button and you're done!
My funky trio