I have a huge collection of mosaic trays from the 1950s thru the 1970s. When I was in high school, going to thrift stores was my thing! Still is actually. Since I've been on a cardboard tile kick this past year I thought I'd try my hand at making some tile trays. Wow do I love the way these look. I made one for my eyeglasses and another for my watches and rings. They are the perfect catchall. Make them in the colors you like to match your house and put them everywhere! Tray the force be with you! Oh, and don't forget to Make Your Mark!
Just a few of my new pieces
Got the oval metal tray at Dollar Tree!
Pizza tins are perfect for this project!
Watch how to make them here!
STUFF I USED
Americana Decor Outdoor Living paints
Splatter Brush (you could use an old toothbrush)
Dollar Store Metal Trays
1. Paint the cardboard pieces in your favorite colors
2. Splatter them with Vintage Brass
*I used a splatter tool, but you could use your thumb and an old toothbrush
3. & 4. Draw a 1/2" grid on the back of the painted cardboard pieces and
cut along the grid for 1/2" tiles
5. Spray the metal trays in metallic gold and let dry
6. Glue the tiles to the inside of the tray with E-6000 Glue
7. & 8. Mix the Glaze Coat according to directions and pour inside
the tiled trays making sure not to get it on the edges
*Only pour on the tile and let it run to the sides
9. Gently distribute the Glaze Coat with a sponge brush making sure
that it's even around the edges
10. Pop the bubbles with a small torch or long arm lighter
11. Cover and let cure overnight
12. Display! I use mine for my eyeglasses and watches
Make something, OK!